[Community] Kernel progress: 3.14.0 (alpha) available

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Mon Mar 31 14:54:55 CEST 2014

Hi,
Linus is working faster than we are. He has published 3.14.0 tonight.

Although we have merged it, we are far from having fixed all bugs. My list has
approx. 15 entries and likely there are more :(

Nevertheless we have some big improvements:
* the GTA04 device tree is almost complete and should be mostly stable
* WiFi is (at least partially) working
* OTG USB is working
* charger is working (except one issue with udev rules)
* the UMTS modem is working
* the display is working - but Xorg crashes
* the sensors (except accelerometer) are working

Amongst the missing parts are:
* sound
* camera
* gps
* bluetooth
* accelerometer
* NAND
* UART3 (console) speed

So it is not even in beta-stage, but still alpha...

What is the rationale to work this way at all?

Well, we could stick with 3.7 forever... Or 3.12 forever... But which one?

There are optimizations coming in future kernels and users want to see them.
So instead of sticking with some old kernel where it becomes more and more
difficult to introduce new features, we have choosen the way to try to continuously
follow upstream - and give something more back to the community than just piling
up incompatible and ignored patches for an outdated kernel.

To transcribe:

	we want to see 100% GTA04 support in kernel.org in the near future

You might now want to take a look into the code and most recent commits:

	http://git.goldelico.com/?p=gta04-kernel.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/3.14.0

Please note that we also have enabled git daemon public read access to the server
through

	git clone git://git.goldelico.com/gta04-kernel.git

And finally, let me combine this status report with asking for some (small) donations [1],
since doing such kernel work isn't coming for free but is using resources and energy of
real people. Purely altruistic volunteers can nowadays be looked for with a magnifier
glass...

BR and happy hacking,
Nikolaus

[1]: http://shop.goldelico.com/wiki.php?page=GTA04%3ADonation