[Community] OsmocomBB

Ryan de Laplante (personal) ryan at ryandelaplante.com
Tue Mar 25 14:35:40 CET 2014

I'm not sure if this is useful or even legally allowed to be used on the
Neo900 project, but I thought I'd share the link with the community:

> OsmocomBB is an Free Software / Open Source GSM Baseband software
> implementation. It intends to completely replace the need for a
> proprietary GSM baseband software, such as
>
> * drivers for the GSM analog and digital baseband (integrated and
>   external) peripherals
> * the GSM phone-side protocol stack, from layer 1 up to layer 3
>
> In short: By using OsmocomBB on a compatible phone, you are able to
> make and receive phone calls, send and receive SMS, etc. based on
> Free Software only.

http://bb.osmocom.org/trac/

Here is a related article about how Ubuntu phone will use closed
proprietary baseband firmware:

http://www.networkworld.com/community/blog/ubuntu-phone-isnt-important-enough-demand-open-source-baseband

Ryan