[Community] Supply chain information

Sebastian Beschke sebastian at sbeschke.de
Wed Mar 5 18:33:48 CET 2014

Hi Oliver,

Am 04.03.2014 20:37, schrieb wonderphone at posteo.de:
> Is it possible to group the parts into parts that can be easily
> purchased at another location and parts that we do have to accept as
> they are? Can we for instance group the resistors and regard them a
> one general item or are they all individually special?
While I cannot answer the second question, I agree that prioritizing
parts in the way you suggest is going to be helpful.

> @Sascha: Did you already have the chance to take a look at the list?
> Does it look like something that you can feed into your tool? What
> will the tool be able to do what a big spread sheet table cannot do?
I think you mean me. Well, our goal is to provide visualisation and easy
management. A spread sheet table is not very accessible to the end user.
Especially as a supply chain is really tree shaped, and Nikolaus’ BOM
only covers the first level of the tree.

Well, our tool is obviously still in the making (though it’s coming
along fairly well). The main difference I see with NagerIT’s data (which
is our main target) is that the GTA04’s supply chain is much larger. But
it shouldn’t be a big problem to design towards that.

> @ Nikolaus: How would we need to proceed when we talk to suppliers? We
> probably have to avoid to make you a laugh in their eyes ;-)

I think we should work out some kind of “telephone script”. We need to
make the supplier understand what we want, and need to figure out how to
get that information out of them. Even before that, we need to know what
information to ask for in the first place. :) All this considering we
have a pretty weak position towards the supplier as we don’t represent a
large buyer (don’t represent anyone, really…).

I’d like to draw on Susanne Jordan’s (of NagerIT) experience with this.
I’ll try contacting her again.

Best,
Sebastian