[Community] Wifi, Modem and GPS

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Tue Jul 15 11:23:15 CEST 2014

Am 15.07.2014 um 11:02 schrieb Sven Dyroff <S.Dyroff at phytec.de>:

> Hello Nikolaus,
>
> > And it is questionable if this "feature" would reveal additional information to someone
> > trying to observe you.
>
> I wasn't aware of the precision of location determination of 2G/3G that Sebastian mentioned:
>
> > Keep in mind that connected modem has already a way to determine
> > location, often with much better precision than GPS. The external GPS
> > module has only one privacy-oriented benefit: ability to use it when
> > GSM modem is completely turned off.
>
> So the only way to keep privacy would be to drive an own free and open network of basestations. AFAIK the Netherlands already have such one. And in Germany it currently seems that a whole network could become free for buying...

No. Even those networks can’t work without public regulation. I.e. since providing
such infrastructure to public services is mandatory.

> > Well, to be honest, the poor MH370 system should have had a telemetry channel
> > to permanently report the real GPS location (avoiding the triangulation by Inmarsat
> > data that was never designed to be used this way - and just fortunate that it was
> > logged at all).
>
> Sorry Nikolaus, but do you really share the opinion that the security of *public* airplanes should be dependent on the way how *private* mobiles communicate??

Did I say that with any letter in my words?

No. I said that public airplanes should in my opinion better have (for good reasons) what we don’t want to have in private mobile communication devices (also for good, but different) reasons.

Only the technological situation is very similar: GPS + Telemetry option or risk (depending on point of view) + triangulation.

But it also shows how difficult it is to (mis-)use a system that was not designed for the purpose of locating someone. Try to assume to be someone who wants to permanently track you location. What would he really do? Try to manipulate the firmware of you specific modem, while the triangulation data is already available?