[Community] GTA04 - Power management improvements

Hermann Schwärzler hermann.schwaerzler at chello.at
Tue Jan 28 08:50:30 CET 2014

Hello,

On 01/17/2014 11:32 AM, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:

> Am 17.01.2014 um 10:56 schrieb Radek Polak:
[...]
>> I have no electrical skills, but i'd make sure:
>>
>> 1/ when device is off it eats ~0 mA
>> 2/ with just modem turned on ~3 mA
>>
>> IIRC the values for 1/ and 2/ are currently very strange (somewhere
>> around 20mA?).
>
> Then your board must be broken, because we have made that sure 3 years
> ago... It was one of the first steps when bringing up the boards and
> testing if the components are the right ones.
>
> All measurements I have done show
>
> 1/ ~0mA
> 2/ between 3 and 100 mA (100mA temporarily if there is some
> communication with the base station) - this current depends heavily on
> antenna position and distance to base station
>
> But I can test it again if you think it is not so.

Hmm. When I measure power-usage by reading the charge-values of the
battery I get the following:

Over night
1) a switched-off device uses 288.1 mAh over a time of  9:33 hours;
   a switch-off-on cycle uses about 7 mAh so the net usage is 281.1 mAh
   equivalent to an average current of 29.4 mA.
2) a suspended device uses 195.3 mAh over a time of 9:20 hours
   i.e. an average current of 20.9 mA

This is more or less the 20 mA Radek is seeing.
So both our devices are broken?
Or is my test-setting "broken"?

Greetings
Hermann