[Community] fairphone project

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Mon Jan 13 09:30:51 CET 2014

Am 13.01.2014 um 00:51 schrieb Alexander Varnin:

> Hello.
> I wanted to ask, what does OpenPhoenux community thinks about Fairphone
> project? (http://www.fairphone.com)
>
> This project aimed to make "fair" phone, that means things like
> recycling, fair and open materials supply, workers conditions are put in
> value.
>
> As I understand, they have already sold 25000 phones. It is so much,
> comparing to GTA04 aims of production. Why they have such comparatively
> big success?

One factor may be that they help to salve one's conscience, which is different from
what we are doing.

Another factor might be that they got support from network operators who
did put the fairphone into their catalogs (probably to protect themselves from
being accused to not care about fair trade).

> They respect open source software and trying to make phone software as
> free as possible.
>
> But they still use quite close platform. As Replicant project writes, it
> is not very safe.
>
> Is it possible for OpenPhoenux community to cooperate with them, to make
> really free and fair, open hard&soft phone?

If they want to - we are open. But as far as I see, they are not seeking our cooperation.
Like numerous other projects - which is an indication that we don#t have a good
enough value proposition and visibility.