[Community] fairphone project

wonderphone at posteo.de wonderphone at posteo.de
Sun Feb 2 23:15:41 CET 2014

Hi all,

I think fair trade is really important. It is not for fighting bad
conscience or just an argument to sell more phones. I simply do not want
to buy a phone that is built by exploiting the environment and the hard
living conditions of the production and mining workers.

While fair trade projects do not reach out to OpenPhoenux would it be
possible to build up fair trade knowhow on our own? I am sure I can also
find people who would can add expertise to the project. Would the
manufacturer of the GTA04 want to disclose his suppliers? Or do we know
all the suppliers of all the parts already? The complicated supply chain
in the electronics business makes it a real challenge.

We have the opportunity to achieve double fairness: Make sure our
privacy is treated fairly and make sure everybody involved in the
production is treated fairly. I believe the hardware is already quite
fair and it would make sense to document it further.

Best regards,
Oliver