[Community] Trust and Google

wonderphone at posteo.de wonderphone at posteo.de
Sun Aug 3 19:19:43 CEST 2014

Hi all,

A German computer magazine is doing a little series on how to get rid
of Google on ones Android Smartphone. But still some questions remain
open.

- Even with CyanogenMod it is not possible to cut ties with Google
completely. Even if you uninstall the Play store, deactivate automatic
search for updates, use an alternative browser, the OS still checks its
connection to the Internet by contacting a Google server. Does Replicant
do this, too, or have Paul or Denis managed to convince Replicant to
stop it?

- Some of the editors also explain their preferred degree of
independence from Google and how they achieve it. Axel Kossel writes
(c't 2014, 13, p.116) that he took it as a challenge to eliminate most
of Google connectivity by hand on his own. That is one strategy among
the understandable ones but what I find striking is that he explicitly
distrusts custom ROMs and software repositories other than Google Play.
His argument is that he doesn't know anything about the authors and
their motives. --> My question: Is this a reasonable point and if yes,
what can we do to have a water-tight chain of trust without exposing the
private life and secret thoughts of the OpenPhoenux OS developers? I
understand that we have signed binaries from signed source code and with
the commits from the Git software there should be not gap in the chain.
But can we be really sure that the code really does what it is supposed
to? Can we really take its harmlessness for granted just because it is
open source?

Thank you for your insights

Oliver