[Community] Fwd: Update mechanism for replicant, FSO ...

Paul Kocialkowski contact at paulk.fr
Thu Apr 24 20:54:18 CEST 2014

> How do updates for replicant work? Are the APK packages only for apps
> or for all system programs? F-droid can update the f-droid apps but can
> it work as a package manager for the OS?

F-Droid will take care of the updates for the apps that you install from
it. System applications are apk too, but since they are part of the
system, they cannot (and should not) be updated without updating the
rest of the system.

Updating the rest of the system can be done on Replicant by using
recovery, the same way it is done for e.g. CyanogenMod or Omni.

However, there are new Replicant releases only when new features are
available, so as soon as the GTA04 port is complete, there will be very
little interest in installing updates. Some serious security issues may
also be a reason for an update, but don't expect them very often.

On the other hand, when Replicant gets ported to a newer Android version
(say 4.4 for instance), it'll be worth updating the system.

Note that all the configurations are lost when updating to a *newer*
Replicant version (updates within the same version don't require a data
wipe). The data stored on the emulated storage is not required to be
wiped out though.

> Next question - would it be a task for the OpenPhoenux community to
> provide updates and fixes for the GTA04 replicant in an automated way? I
> have not yet found update facilities on the replicant site.

I suppose that making a Replicant updater application would be possible,
given that all the Replicant-supported devices use recovery as an
installation method now. CyanogenMod does have an updater application
and we could easily convert it to Replicant updates.

--
Paul Kocialkowski, Replicant developer

Website:        http://www.replicant.us/
Wiki/Tracker:   http://redmine.replicant.us/