[Community] Darwin kernel for GTA04?

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Tue Nov 26 10:05:37 CET 2013

Am 25.11.2013 um 23:12 schrieb Parchet Michaël:

> Hello,
>
> This news is funny for me
>
> I boot a Mac and I'm interested for the port unix project such as macport.org and MacOSforgue.org

yes, that should also run on a GTA04 with Darwin kernel.

What IMHO is also worth discussing is the upsides and downsides of the idea to run a non-Linux kernel to the GTA04.

Some of my thoughts:
* AFAIK Darwin has a more fine grained power management scheme (I don't know if it is implemented for our SoC or if it is a ToDo)
* the IOKit driver model uses C++ for writing drivers (which should be more powerful)
* Darwin is optimized for audio and video
* Darwin has very stable APIs (external and internal)
* but it lacks a lot of drivers that are available in Linux
* it also lacks a big and vital developer community

> I  hop to see the result.

me too :)

I still expect some challenge...