[Community] Removing the cellular modem

Sebastian Krzyszkowiak dos at dosowisko.net
Mon Nov 18 20:05:24 CET 2013

On Mon, Nov 18, 2013 at 8:00 PM, Ryan de Laplante (personal)
<ryan at ryandelaplante.com> wrote:
> I use a VoIP based telephone provider that works as long as I have wifi
> Internet access and have a SIP app installed on my phone.
>
> After reading about how riddled with bugs the firmware in cellular modems
> are, I want to either cut the pins and remove the chip from my Neo900
> myself, or be able to order a wifi-only model:
>
> http://www.osnews.com/story/27416/The_second_operating_system_hiding_in_every_mobile_phone
>
> If I cut the pins and/or remove the chip, will the rest of the computer
> still work?
>
> Please consider making a wifi-only option when buying a Neo900. This will be
> the equivalent of people buying in iPod Touch instead of an iPhone.
>

> Thanks,
> Ryan

I don't understand why people keep quoting this article like it was
something interesting. It's all perfectly known, those are the basics
of how GSM (and other) modems work. However, not every device
communicates with the modem via shared RAM - and Openmoko/OpenPhoenux
devices don't. Despite of modem being closed blackbox, you'll still be
able to control what it does and what it can do - see:
http://neo900.org/faq#privacy

But answering your question: yes, you'll probably be able to order
Neo900 without modem on board, so you'll be able to solder your own by
yourself or just leave it unpopulated - it's up to you.

--
Sebastian Krzyszkowiak, dos
http://dosowisko.net/