[Community] Growing the Community

Martin Jansa martin.jansa at gmail.com
Tue Jun 18 19:31:40 CEST 2013

On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 06:22:39PM +0200, Adrien Dorsaz wrote:
> Hello,
>

> > To me, the Fairphone shows that "the masses" are not just looking for a
> > low price.
> >

> For me the Fairphone/GTA04 example means this :
>
>         People won't pay real price for a device only if the object is
>         enough "cool" (as defined by the Apple marketing) and
>         distinguished from common device.
>
> The Fairphone is cool simply because they _said_ to be "fair" and for
> our society to be fair is good and cool. If you take the fair mouse
> example, you'll see that phone is in reality not _completely_ fair and
> it's impossible to prove its fairness
> ( http://www.nager-it.de/en/maus/umsetzung explain why a simple mouse
> can't be fair and it applies too for a phone).
>
> In opposite the GTA04 is really different from common device, but its
> design isn't "cool" (the Neo Freerunner case seems to be too fat and the
> screen isn't enough big for common people) and the freeness isn't enough
> known to be "cool".
>
> IMHO, if you want to make mass market with GTA04/Openmoko device, you
> have to make a big marketing about freeness such that people find to be
> free is "cool" (as Apple made its marketing about simpleness and other
> associations for "fairness").

I fully agree with this, I can imagine a lot of people buying fairphone
just because it's cool (because it's fair) and if it doesn't suit them
or has bad battery life they will buy some other phone, but not
complain about fairphone, because it would be really uncool to complain
about quality (admitting that you need phone built in unfair production
to make you happy) so the fair phone stays cool longer

On the other hand, I have to explain benefits of free phone to my
friends every time we talk about it. But they don't care about hw and sw
in their phone, for them it's simple: when it freezes -> restart it,
when it freezes a lot, drops calls -> buy new cheap one.

Open development also brings higher visibility to bugs, every flaw and
possible solutions are discussed at lengths in mailing lists and bug
trackers, but we dont see how many revisions were needed to make latest
mass market phone usable (in hw as well as in sw) before it was even
launched.

Martin 'JaMa' Jansa     jabber: Martin.Jansa at gmail.com