[Community] Growing the Community

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Tue Jun 18 16:24:01 CEST 2013

Am 18.06.2013 um 14:56 schrieb Bob Ham:

> On 2013-06-18 12:28, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
>
>> I can't speak for others, but for me e.g. QtMoko "just works".
>
> Do you believe QtMoko is in a state to be used as the operating system pre-installed on a free phone that is mass-marketed?

I don't know (as long as we are only two or three argueing). As said, I can only judge my personal view.

>  By which I mean, marketed with a nicely made marketing website, media campaign and fundraising akin to the Fairphone's efforts?

That is why we need a clear definition of "good enough" and for whom. IMHO our activites are not mass-market oriented and will never be. The mass market just looks at price, next on price and again on price. I.e. the lowest price wins. Freedom: what is this good for? Openness: what this is good for?

IMHO we are doing a niche product. More freedom, openness and independence than elsewhere etc. This can't be the cheapest device and will never be. And it means that a single solution does not serve everybody by design. And, we can assume that those who want such a device are a little more tech-savvy than the average and can either install their system of choice on a SD card or help to improve the software.

Finally one of our key arguments is that we make the device transparent (and not the user). This needs users/customers who want this and are able to appreciate it.