[Community] Growing the Community

kardan om at diy-biogas.eu
Mon Jun 17 20:10:17 CEST 2013

Dear open hardware community,

Am Sat, 15 Jun 2013 09:39:11 +0000
schrieb Bob Ham <rah at settrans.net>:

> Here is the acid test I think any phone needs to pass in order to be
> successful: you must be able to take the phone out of the box, stick a
> SIM card in, charge the phone, start using it fully, stick it in your
> pocket, and never, for the entirety of the life of the hardware,
> update any software on it to a newer version.
>
> When we have a phone OS that's solid enough to be used for 10+ years
> without an update, we'll be in a position to produce a free phone that
> will be a success.

Sounds appaeling to me. During my travels during the last 5 years I
would have sold dozens (at least a lot of people were interested in
this uncommon kind of phone), but it didn't make that elegant
figure when they tried to use it due to my lack of patience crawling
into it to make it a shiny phone.

Where are we now? Full featured qtmoko with automatic
adressbook and email synchroization with outlook? No. "Our customers"
dive into their mails via mutt or cone, or just hang out in irrsi? But
honestly, I can not image to chat or write emails with this kind of
phone. So if even I cannot do (its lying on my table), who makes
anybody believing, that this is a cool phone, a musthave, the key to a
new world of software...stability, usability, custamizabilty, security -
what are the values this phone should be referred to?

People who want to have geeky apps, have plenty of them already
in existing stores. This is not the point. One key feature, that
separates OM from the rest is the unlimited control to disable any
hardware component with the confidence, that there are no backdoors or
remotely triggered hidden updates. This is a plus in privacy no other
phone has. What about a StrikePhone crowdfunding campaign in analogy to
the StrikeBike and the onelaptopperchild project - pay two, get one
and support an activist in turkey or syria! ,)

Regarding advertising, I don't expect the community to become
annoyingly extroverted, showing "linux boot screens" on the frontpage,
but - please excuse me, as this maybe unfair - if only [1] and [2] out
of 11 entries in the videolog are available, this is no marketing. ;P
(i would put the bottom links to the left and any cool media
eyecatcher in the middle [3])

Anybody thought of an OM with preinstalled Skolelinux or Edubuntu as
memory aid for tests? Give me 5 working phones (hardware+software) and
we start a school project with 100 new faces for the community. Yea.

Let's talk about the benefits of having an android
on my OM - should I do it or not. Which features should I miss to buy
such a cool feature? I am seriously curious.

BTW I would never sell my open hardware phone as it is a status
symbol. I missed that point in the discussion so far :)

kindle regards,
kardan

1] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHqA3SaZ5oQ&feature=youtu.be
2] http://blog.slyon.de/2012/03/18/gta04-booting-shr-in-17-seconds/