[Community] Surveillance resistance

Nick openphoenux at njw.me.uk
Fri Jun 14 03:18:36 CEST 2013

I recently stumbled across this:
https://anonfiles.com/file/ec986164e2bb468db76871a6c72caeed

It's a user guide for some hacked samsung phone, and it has several
rather interesting counter-surveillance features. I imagine some of
these will be illegal in many jurisdictions ("random IMEI mode" for
example), but many wouldn't be, and they're rather interesting.

The ideas here that interest me most are alerts when encryption is
downgraded / disabled, and when unusual numbers of GSM
re-registration requests are seen. Is this sort of thing possible
with the GTA04, or is that stuff done at the modem level and not
easy to determine?

Nick