[Community] PRISM

neil at ossau.homelinux.net neil at ossau.homelinux.net
Tue Jun 11 12:50:06 CEST 2013

Create a page on the GTA04 wiki that will start to cover and analyse aspects of security and surveillance, and point out any advantages that the GTA04 has with respect to those, compared with mainstream phones.

Point out that with iGadgets it is completely unknowable what personal information is being copied to and stored on Apple servers, and thence allegedly available to programs like Prism.

Look at creating a similar argument for mainstream Android phones.  I think we assume in our community that the GTA04 is more open and generally better than a mainstream Android phone, but I don't think it's well-articulated anywhere if this is really the case, and if so why.  Are there aspects of an Android system that it is impossible to inspect or program (whether by base install tools, or by already available apps, or by writing one's own app), but which are readily available on GTA04?  Or is it a matter of modem control of the main CPU/memory/filesystem?  Or of requiring lots more closed source drivers than GTA04 does?

Of course there's also that the mainstream Android culture is for people to simply use what they are given, which may mean data going off to Google just as it might do to Apple.  But that's a weaker argument because it's addressible by people like CyanogenMod providing better Android distributions.

I suspect a lot of people outside our mailing list don't see how GTA04 is any better than mainstream Android, so it would be well worth elucidating and presenting that argument.

Also point out that one way to combat programs like Prism is for people to control their own decentralised infrastructure; e.g. Friendica rather than Facebook.  Support for this is happening in mainstream Linux more than anywhere else, and GTA04's ability to run mainstream Linux should facilitate the development of GTA04 clients for such infrastructure.

Regards,
      Neil