[Community] About the status

Bob Ham rah at settrans.net
Sat Jun 8 15:17:19 CEST 2013

On Sat, 2013-06-08 at 14:21 +0200, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:

> And the Vivaldi tablet appears to make slow progress.
> But I still did not get what the benefit of an exchangeable CPU
> module may be and why they limit themselves to 68 pins of
> a PCMICA form factor.

There seems to be some confusion here.  To quote the blog post,
regarding the EOMA68 device shown in the video:

  "we've ended developing what is a pretty snazzy little hardware
tinkerer's device as well which we plan to make available separately
from the tablet devices"

The video shows an EOMA68 CPU card; there's nothing to say that the EOMA
standard will be used by the Vivaldi tablet.  I would expect that the
Vivaldi tablet simply makes use of the same SoC as that particular CPU
card: the Allwinner A10.

> They argue that you can replace the CPU in 1 or 2 years and
> keep the display. But usually you rarely want to stick with
> your older display for a significantly higher performance CPU.

I find this odd given that the GTA04 was developed to make use of the
same display as the GTA02, which was 4 years old when the GTA04A4 was
released.

Discarding usable technology is an ecological concern.  The development
of systems that are designed to allow reusing of components is a great
advance that should be supported.

> And at 200 EUR (which I don't believe they will achieve) it
> is easier swapping the whole device...

Indeed, it is easier to destroy the environment than to maintain it.

--
Bob Ham <rah at settrans.net>

for (;;) { ++pancakes; }