[Community] txtr Beagle (was: Re: Status GTA04A5)

xdrudis xdrudis at tinet.cat
Fri Jul 12 18:59:07 CEST 2013

On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 01:38:11PM +0200, Raphael Wimmer wrote:
> For German readers, the txtr Beagle [1] might be interesting. It is
> 5" e-ink display that is powered by AAA batteries, connected to a
> smartphone via bluetooth, and has no own rendering capabilities but
> just displays bitmaps (afaik).
> They are currently on sale (only in Germany?!) for 19.99 € incl. shipping.
> A hacker friend has ordered one to see whether the protocol can be
> easily reverse-engineered.

This is the 3rd time I try to send this message, I hope you don't get it
multiple times, I suspsect there was something wrong in a webmail...

I think this was one of the ereaders I asked the company about
any chance to have free software on it or at least no DRM and
no luck.

I hope your friend is succesful. I'm not sure how difficult will it
be compared with designing an open ereader, but I'd love to have
a eink screen controlled by gta04. Specially if NeronGPS could
send the map there, keep it mostly static and update just the
current position marker for walking without too much worry for
batteries, and a larger and sunshine readable screen. But
email and books is interesting too.