[Community] Next generation OpenPhoenux devices - What people don't like with their ${PHONE}

Radek Polak psonek2 at seznam.cz
Tue Feb 26 09:33:50 CET 2013

On Friday, February 22, 2013 04:37:48 PM openphoenux at njw.me.uk wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 06:58:21AM -0500, Benjamin Deering wrote:
> > I think battery life and keyboard would be most important for her.
> > There was a Russian (I think) smartphone with a secondary e-ink
> > display for notifications.  This let the phone spend more time with
> > out the backlit screen consuming 100ma.
>
> FWIW, standby battery life is a big draw for me too. The tabletish
> phone space is saturated, despite many people caring primarily about
> battery life, which has decreased significantly.
>
> The e-ink phone Benjamin is thinking of is this:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motofone

I think this one was ment:

	http://mashable.com/2013/01/11/yotaphone-2/

and i think the idea is really cool. I use e-ink on my kindle and it's very
friendly for your eyes and battery.

I think the power management on GTA04 is not right yet. There was a big
progress since year ago (big thanks to Neil Brown). In the begining the phone
was eating 500mA, then it went to like 90mA thanks to suspend, then 70, 50,
30, 22, 15mA - and this is where we are now.

But I am still hoping that GTA04 could be outdoor phone - we have the
schematics and it should be possible to minimize power and beat other phones
in this area.

E.g. i have N900 which is very similar to GTA04. The phone even does not go to
suspend, but i charged it on Sunday and 4 days later the battery is not empty
yet. I have also old sony erriccson with 750mAh battery and it can easily do
14 days without charging.

> My perfect phone would have a OpenBSC modem, an e-ink display, a
> hardware keypad (maybe slide-out querty, maybe just a numeric
> keypad), a loudspeaker, and awesome battery life, and be rugged.

I wonder if we could modify the case to add AAA battery to increase the
battery life. The case would get a bit bigger, but we could use the space for
keyboard - maybe qwerty keyboard from blackberry like this:

	http://www.everything4blackberry.com/blackberry-keypads.html

> It wouldn't be a very easy sell; people are trained to evaluate
> phones based on how many whizzbangs they have. But people care about
> not having to worry their phone screen cracking if they drop it, not
> having to worry about charging a phone everyday, and conditions in
> which their stuff is made. And these aren't things anybody else is
> offering.
>
> Just some thoughts.

I aggree 100%

Regards