[Community] Next generation OpenPhoenux devices - What people don't like with their ${PHONE}

Josua Mayer josua.mayer97 at googlemail.com
Mon Feb 25 18:55:06 CET 2013

Am 25.02.2013 13:46, schrieb Sven:
> So I want to throw one idea into the area, but without knowing if it's
> really a good one: Could it help if we have a simple-to-use
> Windows-Application, that makes the same as makesd.sh under Linux,
> namely creating a proper formatted and recorded SD card? So that a
> Windows-User could start using our "Linux-Phone" without having
> Linux-skills? In my opinion Qtmoko v52 is sophisticated enough to give
> it a trial. But I don't know if that's a way that we - the community -
> are really interested in to try out...
I believe its technically doable to make such an application. Though
fighting with the extX filesystems may be tricky(there are drivers for
it and also applications that aren ot drivers but can write to them).
Otherwise windows is not so unusable with the openmoko. The serial debug
tools are available as windows binaries, its possible to connect the
phone to a windows pc and share internet access with it. Also there are
ssh clients available on windows. Its just not so easy to find out abput
all of this from zero. I do agree that the ability to do all necessary
things with windows computer would be good to have.