[Community] Next generation OpenPhoenux devices - What people don't like with their ${PHONE}

Sven openmoko at maricon.de
Mon Feb 25 13:46:22 CET 2013

Hello Nikolaus,

some more thoughts upon your question:

You should also ask, what people like with their ${PHONE} in contrary to
an Openmoko. And there's one important aspect: When you tell them, that
they *can* freely choose the software for the Openmoko and flash it onto
it by themselfes, their first reaction is to discover that they *must*
concern with lots of technical details, where they never spent any
thought on. Then their first question is: "Can I do it?", not meaning
the technical possibility but the intellectual.

Then further discussions reveal one important show stopper: They're
using Laptops and/or PCs with Windows, not with Linux!

That's an important relationship: For using Openmoko you need Linux
skills, not only for the phone, but also for your Laptop and/or PC!

So in the end that's also the way they see the Openmoko: They see it as
*the* "Linux-Phone"! That's the way they call it to be, under any
aspect, and undeniable they're right with that!

Unfortunately if you discuss with Linux-Users about their ${PHONE}, they
prefer to hack and reflash their ordinary ${PHONE} instead of getting an
Openmoko. The feeling of succuss having cracked an commercial phone
seems to be more important for them than really having a free phone.

So I want to throw one idea into the area, but without knowing if it's
really a good one: Could it help if we have a simple-to-use
Windows-Application, that makes the same as makesd.sh under Linux,
namely creating a proper formatted and recorded SD card? So that a
Windows-User could start using our "Linux-Phone" without having
Linux-skills? In my opinion Qtmoko v52 is sophisticated enough to give
it a trial. But I don't know if that's a way that we - the community -
are really interested in to try out...

By the way, in one point I have to correct myself. There's one technical
point that in any case must be done in order to give our "Linux-Phone"
the acceptance that it deserves: Having a working camera together with
an QR-scanner! Being able to read QR-codes with your phone has become
such an self-evident daily use-case, that noone accepts to spend much
money for a phone that is not able to do this.

And perhaps it's also worth to think about if it's really senseful to
spend much efforts in getting a driver working for a 1.3 Mpix camera,
today. Wouldn't it be better to spend the GTA04A5 at least a 5 Mpix
camera? Usefully one with already existing working driver for the OMAP3?

Best regards
    Sven