[Community] Next generation OpenPhoenux devices - What people don't like with their ${PHONE}

marc marcxoe at welz.org.za
Fri Feb 22 17:03:09 CET 2013

Hello

> But since we won't be able to copy all this (e.g. a Nexus 4 feature set and
> price point), I am looking for the unexpected. For something what your friends
> are missing in all offers and something we can do, but the "big ones" can't or
> don't want to do.

There seem to have been a number of requests for a real keypad,
but I think the mechanical effort to build a custom keyboard
might be way too expensive for a small production run ? So why
not add a chording keyboard, in concept similar to a braille
typewriter ? That might only requite maybe 2 buttons on the thumb
side of the phone (top right edge), and say 4 or 5 on the left edge...
the nifty part is this community probably has the patience to learn
such a feature and so be as fast as a real PC keyboard (use ssh on the
phone at a proper speeds), while the oh-shiny-next demographic buying
phones from big mainstream manufacturers does not.

Also second request for low power auxiliary display or status
leds (maybe arranged in circle to form an analogue watch face ?) on
other side of phone

regards

marc