[Community] Next generation OpenPhoenux devices - What people don't like with their ${PHONE}

openphoenux at njw.me.uk openphoenux at njw.me.uk
Fri Feb 22 16:37:48 CET 2013

On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 06:58:21AM -0500, Benjamin Deering wrote:
> I think battery life and keyboard would be most important for her.
> There was a Russian (I think) smartphone with a secondary e-ink
> display for notifications.  This let the phone spend more time with
> out the backlit screen consuming 100ma.

FWIW, standby battery life is a big draw for me too. The tabletish
phone space is saturated, despite many people caring primarily about
battery life, which has decreased significantly.

The e-ink phone Benjamin is thinking of is this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motofone

The "fewer parts made in awful conditions" point is also something
that people really care about; they just don't see any viable
alternatives.

My perfect phone would have a OpenBSC modem, an e-ink display, a
hardware keypad (maybe slide-out querty, maybe just a numeric
keypad), a loudspeaker, and awesome battery life, and be rugged.

It wouldn't be a very easy sell; people are trained to evaluate
phones based on how many whizzbangs they have. But people care about
not having to worry their phone screen cracking if they drop it, not
having to worry about charging a phone everyday, and conditions in
which their stuff is made. And these aren't things anybody else is
offering.

Just some thoughts.