[Community] Next generation OpenPhoenux devices - What people don't like with their ${PHONE}

Benjamin Deering ben_deering at swissmail.org
Fri Feb 22 12:58:21 CET 2013

On 02/22/2013 06:35 AM, Neal H. Walfield wrote:
> My wife currently uses an N950.  Previously she had an N900.  She uses
> it for its phone capability (5 min per day on average, median, 0 min
> per day), calendaring, email, weather, web and mapping.  I'd guess
> that she uses it about 15 minutes per day, on average, with the median
> being about 5 minutes.
>
> What she values is a physical keyboard and a very long standby time
> (which neither the N900 nor N950 have).  So, most of the things that
> you list as "obvious" are not what she is looking for.
>
> Neal

My wife currently uses a 7 year old feature phone for these same
reasons.  It gets 7 days standby time (on the original battery) and has
a real keyboard.  Less than 10 seconds after power up it can make
calls.  When not in use, it is folded and the screen is protected (a
secondary OLED screen on the back displays notifications).  If it had a
qwerty keyboard, she would keep it forever.

She got a new feature-phone from work and it highlights how nice the old
phone is.  The new phone has a slow UI and a bigger, battery-sucking screen.

I think battery life and keyboard would be most important for her.
There was a Russian (I think) smartphone with a secondary e-ink display
for notifications.  This let the phone spend more time with out the
backlit screen consuming 100ma.

I wonder how much battery life could be extended by letting a home
server or cloud-based personal server do the heavy lifting.  Just let
the phone pull a few small documents from the server once in a while
that contain formatted e-mail notifications, calendar, etc.

Ben