[Community] Next generation OpenPhoenux devices - What people don't like with their ${PHONE}

Sven Dyroff S.Dyroff at phytec.de
Fri Feb 22 10:00:17 CET 2013

Hello Nikolaus,

as far as I could collect experiences the problem that you address is not
a technical one, but an ideological. Especially when we take a look at
Apple. There're so much things people don't like, because Apple makes many
efforts that their phones are strictly proprietary. Apple's phones are
very expensive. Apple's phones will be assembled by 13-year old children
in China and meanwhile nearly everyone knows that. But if you go into
discussion with people whose phone is from Apple, they find unbelievable
outrageous excuses, why they buy them, anyway. And if you discuss long
enough, you'll always get the same answers. It's simply the same answers,
why people drive oversized big and fuel-guzzling cars in times with
increasing traffic-jams, decreasing offer of parking lots and increasing
prices of gasoline: It's stylish. It's a status symbol. It's like wearing
fur.

Or in other short words: If you're using an Openmoko, you're standing
outside of society. It's like being punk with cockscomb.

Best regards
   Sven