[Community] Thinfirm WLAN firmware

Nick openphoenux at njw.me.uk
Tue Feb 5 19:07:52 CET 2013

On Tue, Feb 05, 2013 at 05:50:56PM +0100, Lukas Märdian wrote:
> At least two people I know of have tinkered around with it in the past.
>
> For example take a look at this kernel 3.2 which has everything needed
> to get it working (except the firmware):
> http://git.freesmartphone.org/?p=linux-2.6.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/3.2-gta04%2Blibertas-tf-sdio
>
> <snip>
>
> No. Thinfirm was a cooperation between Marvell and OLPC. They created
> just another binary blob. This blob leaves most of the work for the CPU
> tough and does very few in the firmware. And it has some extra
> capabilities like AP-mode.

Is AP-mode what would be needed to have the phone as a 3G wifi
router? 'Cos that would be a neat feature. Also, the thinner the
binary blob layer is, the better, plus OLPC are less scary providers
of blobs than most other people. So it sounds like it would be worth
playing with this and seeing if it can replace the current ones
provided by debian non-free, because:

- It has more capabilities (AP & Mesh)
- It is provided by more trusted party
- It is a thinner layer, doing more in the CPU, that we can control

I'll give this a whirl when I get a GTA04 and report back. Hopefully
it's just a case of switching out the firmware file and using the
different driver in the kernel, as Lukas implies (at least for 3.2).

Nick