[Community] Thinfirm WLAN firmware

Nick openphoenux at njw.me.uk
Tue Feb 5 17:29:34 CET 2013

On Tue, Feb 05, 2013 at 05:14:54PM +0100, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
> I tried to follow the links you provided to find sources (i.e. a free&open
> firmware) but did find binary blobs only.
>
> So I think it is just another binary blob from Marvell that can be loaded
> by a different (free & open) kernel driver into the 8686 chip.

Oh, I think you're right after all :( I can't find sources for the
firmware either, and the LICENSE text at[1] is clearly nonfree; "No
reverse engineering, decompilation, or disassembly of this software
is permitted."

That's a pity. I imagined the OLPC people would have insisted on a
free driver (and have had the clout to be able to convince a
manufacturer / reverse engineer one). Presumably WLAN firmwares are
particularly difficult to get opened due to regulatory fears
(however unfounded).

Anyway, that's a pity. If anyone has any information to the
contrary, I'd be happy to hear it...

Nick

1. http://dev.laptop.org/pub/firmware/libertas/thinfirm/LICENSE