[Community] Thinfirm WLAN firmware

Nick openphoenux at njw.me.uk
Tue Feb 5 16:51:43 CET 2013

Hi there,

So I figured I should finally get around to getting a GTA04 board,
and plan to put my name down for the preorder shortly. Too long has
my GTA02 sat unloved in a drawer.

Reading through the documentation, I was wondering whether anybody
had tried using the Thinfirm firmware for the WLAN device? It's
mentioned on the FAQ as something that might work[1], and the linked
to webpage from the OLPC project[2] implies that the firmware is stable
and working well, at least for them.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone has, or if there are likely
difficulties or things which would need to be done to get it to
work. As it's the only piece of nonfree software that's needed for
operation (arguably it's rather more important for most people than
the 3D driver), it'd be great if the free one could be made to work.

Thanks for any hints,

Nick

1. http://projects.goldelico.com/p/gta04-main/page/FAQ/#wikititle_10
2. http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Thinfirm_1.5