[Community] GTA04 status & website overhaul

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Tue Aug 13 12:52:17 CEST 2013

Hi,
sorry that I did not read it completely - it is too much to digest in one step.

Mainly it was not clear where you did cite the existing material and what
was a new proposal. Maybe you could use some way of indentation or
citation marks.

So just some short comments.

And I love your enthusiasm to do something! We need more of you.

Am 13.08.2013 um 11:12 schrieb kardan:

> Hi,
>
>> Thanks for the fresh perspectives - let's get comments from
>> others on this discussion list.
> Until opinions drop in I want to deepen the exchange on the web
> presence of openphoenux.org.
>
>> Instead people are starting to ignore these threats. Because they
>> think:
>> * we can't do anything
>> * there are more imporant things on this world to be solved
>> * I have nothing to hide
> It is worth to list problems but also I don't think this is too futile
> to concentrate on what people on this list think.
>
>>> Our phone campaign CAN be the answer to all of these questions, if
>>> we manage to outreach a majority of customers.

> "Crowdfunding needs a big team to prepare a professional campaign or
> will fail immediately"
>
> Comparing openphoenix.org with fairphone.com and u-edge we see the
> design needs some love to make the GTA04 a shooting star.

That is what I mean. And even then, it may fail:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lernstift/lernstift-the-first-pen-that-vibrates-when-u-make

Apparently they really love their idea.

>> It is unlikely and not expected that someone interested in OpenPhoneux
>> is starting at the company page (which is under rework anyways).
>
> Happy to hear that. Please share the progress on this.
>
>> Yes, that would be an option to separate the openphoenux.org
>> from the company to give it even more independence. A foundation
>> would be a good start - but needs founders.
>
> What about putting up a new frontpage in a git repository so more
> people can submit patches?

>> I am not sure if everybody has write access. Please tell me if you
>> need write permission.
>
> I registered an account but see no edit buttons yet.

Go to "Documents", choose a page and you should see "Update This Page" or "Create New".

> [...]
>  circuits on VDD1, VDD2 have been solved by adding a Vapour Phase
> * 21 Letux 3704 portable terminal with WiFi/BT,
> * 22 Letux 7004 Tablet Prototype
> ** 7 inch tablet
> ** GTA04 inside
> ** UMTS (optional), WLAN, BT, GPS, USB
> ** ~10-15h operation time
> ** Qi inductive charger
> * 23 Hardware Keyboard Prototype
> * 24 Mass production: GTA04A5
>
> The following four blocks are shown below the
>
> Price
> * GTA04A5 revision of PCB is ready to go
> to production
> ** small modifications to replace obsolete
> components or improve production
> process
> ** Price is still high due to small batch size
> ** But: there are not enough orders to start
> ** STOP a new batch (200 units could be produced within ca. 8-10
> * 26 shows the problem open hardware with low production numbers
> * 27 unsolvable cost problem
> Community Software is inherently cheaper than commercial
> ** People compare prices of production batch size 1 Mio-units vs. 100
> units and find the commercial (closed) HW much cheaper than the
> community developed (open) device
> ** „... too expensive!“, „... scam!“, „... Vivaldi announces 200 EUR“!
> ** there is no solution or „white knight“ - open hardware is and will be
> more expensive
>
> Case
> * 29/30 wooden case GTA04_wooden_case.png
> * 31 more colours
> * 32 Step 1: reproducing the original Freerunner
> case, using 3D printing technology
> * 33 Step 2: generating a 3D model from the
> PCB data in a semi-automatic way.
> * 34 script workflow
> * 35 Step 3: design a good looking & feeling case (based on PCB model /
>  generated ref. case)
> ** Design contributions are VERY welcome. We're looking for industrial
> designers / 3D modellers!
> http://download.goldelico.com/gta04/CAD/
> http://slyon.de/CAD/
> * 36 cases overview
>
> * OS
> ** 38 http://qtmoko.sf.net
> ** 39 SHR http://shr-project.org
> ** 40 Replicant http://replicant.us
> ** 41 Debian/LXDE http://projects.goldelico.com/p/gta04-rootfs
> * 43 We could do a lot of things, if there were more support by
>  interested people, e.g.: •build many more GTA04A5 boards
> ** build new complete devices with 3D printed cases
> ** build a lot of Letux 7004 tablets
> ** protoype a Cortex A15 variant with bigger display and LTE
> ** work on a hardware keyboard
> * 44
> ** Due to the open bootloader, open drivers
> and open documentation it is possible to
> port any OS to the GTA04 platform.
> ** Are YOU interested to port e.g. WebOS,
> FirefoxOS, UbuntuPhone, SailfishOS, $
> {your_favourite}OS to the most open
> hardware platform available?
>
> Summarizing I propose this site structure:

Maybe you can make a HTML/CSS mockup of your ideas. If it is seen
better, we can think about switching the home page.

> Considering your latest answers I end up with this list:
>
>>> * setup a blog about all current progress (i offer my help with
>>> design)
>>> * compress it to a leaflet and spread it <- MOST important atm IMHO
>>> * connect and link to all other open hardware initiatives
>>> ** for example this campaign [1] for an open source Geiger counter
>>> [2] -target are 1000 pieces á 20€ - what about co-promotion?
>>> * use all steps you are working on for promotion on the blog
>
> I forgot the links in my last mail:
> [1] http://www.indiegogo.com/project/preview/880f9dba
> [2] https://apollo.open-resource.org/lab:pigi
>

>> This is a false assumption that Goldelico wants to push some hardware
>> into a market.
>>
>> OpenPhoenux and Openmoko were there first and goldelico.com is
>> just one of several community members.
>>
>> One with a special set of capabilities to make such a project
>> materialize, after the community did want to see it (as an improved
>> successor of the Openmoko GTA02).
>>
>> So first there was the community looking for someone who can do
>> it and Goldelico did develop the device for the community.
>>
>> This Openphoenux community is also open to other hardware
>> manufacturers to contribute something.
>
> Maybe this could go to the history section in slightly polished version.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Openmoko

has some desciption.

>> Rather people should start with www.openphoenux.org and find
>> everything there - and in the last step come to an organization
>> running the daily business part (stock, logistics, money).
>>
>>> So it is worth to optimize the page for hardware vendors who are
>>> interested to sell to you or even would make a better price in
>>> exchange for a logo on your front page for example .. I would do
>>> that for you, but I am loaded with own (hardware) projects
>>> currently.
>>>
>>> What of the following is missing and prevents GTA04 to boom?
>>> 1) product
>>> 2) customers / preorders
>>> 3) financial calculations
>>> 4) funds
>>> 5) marketing material
>>> 6) marketing campaign
>>> 7) employees / personnel / contributors / hat wearers
>>> 8) user comfort
>>> Which are missing?
>>>
>>> What do you think are the reasons that keep your bird on the ground?
>>>
>>> From my perspective it is about 4) 2) 5) (in this order).
>>>
>>> So a first start would be
>>> A collect info that everybody should know about
>>> B outline a process for a multi-cycle crowdfunding campaign
>>> C offer an easy way for interests to get a) involved b) a usable
>>> phone.
>>
>> Yes, that is a good idea. If you need help to start, please ask here
>> on this list. There are many just reading but have big knowledge to
>> contribute for specific questions.
>
> Starting with this mail I will continue with seperate posts on fair
> supplyers and the other mentioned phone projects.

>>> I see it the other way round: We make the requirement for fair
>>> production as we know it is necessary and customers will appreciate
>>> this. There is a need to feed. Imagine on the radio you hear of a
>>> new phone, that is
>>> * good to you by enabling for complete control over hard~ and
>>> software
>>> * good to workers by respecting their rights and paying proper loans
>>> * good to environment using clean resources and minimizing
>>> production
>>> * has fancy easy to use software with charming workflows
>>> Whould you buy it? I would and most people out there as well.
>>
>> Only if it is cheaper than others at the same time...
>
> If you had the choice between two phones like the fairphone and u-edge
> with equal feature set, while the first concentrates on worker's
> stories and costs about 100€ more than the second which not even
> publishes their supply chains. Which one would you buy?

Well, look at Fair Coffe at the supermarket. How much they sell compared
to the major brands.

>>> People are getting used to get all for nothing (/few) which is
>>> similarly for information and services on the web. There will be
>>> some kind of awakening that "no cost" for customers means high costs
>>> at another part of the chain - for the web it is to realize every
>>> user is a product sold to ad/spam factories for example - for
>>> hardware it is also about privacy at some point (which people will
>>> realize soon / partly did already), but not only as there are
>>> several more "real" drawbacks like working conditions, economic
>>> destruction, war on resources, political interference by US/EU,
>>> nuclear radiation, pollution, you name it ..
>>
>> Yes, I agree - but I am waiting for this awakening for several years
>> now. And currently my impression is that it will not happen.
>
> I want to encourage you to concentrate on the niches where it is
> working. While it may be hard to find fans in bavaria I am curious how
> many users we can get in germany/europe. But actually there is no sense
> in limiting our perspective.

Our focus was and is always worldwide.

>> It is the same with "fair coffee" at our supermarket. There is only a
>> single brand compared to 30 others. And it is not even always
>> available.
>>
>> Look, economy is currently against people being mentors and generous.
>
> This may be some regional thing you describe as in my region I
> can perceive a quite lively solidary economy movement.

Yes, it is here as well - but not in technology areas any more.