[Community] status of production and antenna development ; Re: What software are we still missing on GTA04 distributions?

Thomas Munker t.munker at gmx.net
Sun Oct 21 23:05:17 CEST 2012

Hi,
How is the state of the production. You told some time ago that it is
running again (but slowly), so i wanted to ask if you have some hint
when the last (mabe mine) will be delivered.

Am 26.07.2012 14:16, schrieb Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller:

> Am 26.07.2012 um 13:01 schrieb NeilBrown:
>
>> On Thu, 26 Jul 2012 10:11:42 +0200 "Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller"
>> <hns at goldelico.com> wrote:
>>

>>> Am 26.07.2012 um 00:52 schrieb NeilBrown:

>> When I first tried 3G data access with a bit of wire attached to a bare board
>> with a cloths peg, I got 60KB/sec download.  With the board on the case I
>> never get anywhere near that - maybe 10KB/sec.
>>
>> In marginal coverage areas, my wifes sony/ericson gets much better reception
>> that my GTA04.
>
> With "just a wire" you must be lucky to have a good antenna. If you are very
> unlucky it may be worse as no antenna at all. The DSPs in the UMTS baseband
> try to get the best they can out of a weak signal - but the antenna wire may not
> radiate at all.
>
> This is why we are still working on the UMTS replacement antenna for the
> Case Kit... To make it better than no antenna. And this is quite tricky RF
> engineering. Fortunately one guy in our hardware core team had been doing
> this for a former mobile phone company... But unfortunately he does not have
> much spare time to invest and is lacking some of those 200kEUR instruments
> from HP, R&S etc. that make developer's life much easier.
>
> Nikolaus

As i understand the written above, we need some new, special umts
antenna for the GTA04-casekit. Why don't we need some for the
Freerunner, is the gprs/gsm antenna compatible? Why can't we reproduce
them for the case-kit, aren't they just some special formed kind of
wires? Or is the signal not so well, but good enough to not do the work
for an replacement?
Sorry if this may sound like an trivial question.

kind regards,
Thomas Munker