[Community] What software are we still missing on GTA04 distributions?

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Thu Jul 26 14:16:59 CEST 2012

Am 26.07.2012 um 13:01 schrieb NeilBrown:

> On Thu, 26 Jul 2012 10:11:42 +0200 "Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller"
> <hns at goldelico.com> wrote:
>

>> Am 26.07.2012 um 00:52 schrieb NeilBrown:

>>> Reliable firmware for the GSM module?
>>>
>>> I've recently started noticing the problem where an incoming call causes the
>>> firmware to crash on occasion.  I think Radek avoided that by disabling 3G or
>>> similar (Radek: what was the command to do that?).
>>>
>>> Also sometimes it just fails to register properly - it is weird.  It seems
>>> to be registered and knows which carrier it is with and gets signal strength
>>> updates, but incoming and out-going calls just don't work.  Even a
>>> power-cycle doesn't fix things.
>>
>>> I pull the SIM out and put it in another phone and it works fine.  Put it
>>> back in the GTA04 again, and it works again.
>>
>> This may also be related to a misaligned antenna. I.e. it can happen
>> that the reception is good enough to receive the beacon signals from
>> the base stations but transmitted signals are too weak to arrive there.
>
> That sounds entirely possible.
>
> When I first tried 3G data access with a bit of wire attached to a bare board
> with a cloths peg, I got 60KB/sec download.  With the board on the case I
> never get anywhere near that - maybe 10KB/sec.
>
> In marginal coverage areas, my wifes sony/ericson gets much better reception
> that my GTA04.

With "just a wire" you must be lucky to have a good antenna. If you are very
unlucky it may be worse as no antenna at all. The DSPs in the UMTS baseband
try to get the best they can out of a weak signal - but the antenna wire may not
radiate at all.

This is why we are still working on the UMTS replacement antenna for the
Case Kit... To make it better than no antenna. And this is quite tricky RF
engineering. Fortunately one guy in our hardware core team had been doing
this for a former mobile phone company... But unfortunately he does not have
much spare time to invest and is lacking some of those 200kEUR instruments
from HP, R&S etc. that make developer's life much easier.