[Community] Case Kit

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Thu Jul 19 14:29:50 CEST 2012

Some of you are not only waiting for a GTA04 board but also for the
case kit components [1] so that a 3D printed case gives a complete device.

We now have good ideas how to build and connect a new UMTS antenna,
but it needs experimentation, simulation and measurements until we can
have it mass produced. Please note that getting an impedance matched
piece of wire is easy to achieve, but one that really radiates well and
efficiently isn't. And an inefficient antenna drains the battery faster than
we want...

But we are still stuck with a new earpiece receiver (the original one
is no longer produced and not even available from over-stock - except
one expensive source having access to Asus spare parts). And contacting
it to the GTA04 board is also very difficult (there are only two small
copper+gold blobs for miniature springs - too small to add some connector
and too risky to solder some wires).

And - unfortunately - the replacement GPS antenna we had choosen
to buy from DigiKey was discontinued by the manufacturer. Most likely
because the low noise amplifier transistor went out of production.

So as simple as it may look, so difficult it is to synchronize these parts
and keep the price low. Well, we could now start to design our own GPS
antenna module, but we know that you already are moaning how expensive
everything is. Getting something from mass production is always cheaper
than adapting and customizing components to our needs.

If the mass produced thing fulfills our needs... For GPS would be easy
if we could get some 15x15mm >20dBm with 50mm U.FL cable from
a big distributor.

Nikolaus

[1]: http://www.handheld-linux.com/wiki.php?page=GTA04%3ACase%20Kit