[Openpvrsgx-devgroup] New version letux-pvrsrvkm-v5.6.0-rc1 available

Tony Lindgren tony at atomide.com
Mon Feb 17 22:08:27 CET 2020

* H. Nikolaus Schaller <hns at goldelico.com> [200217 19:34]:
> Hi Tony,
>
> > Am 17.02.2020 um 16:00 schrieb Tony Lindgren <tony at atomide.com>:
> >
> > * H. Nikolaus Schaller <hns at goldelico.com> [200217 08:01]:
> >> The scripts will also keep letux-pvrsrvkm-v5.6.0-rc1 untouched
> >> and there will be a new letux-pvrsrvkm-v5.6.0-rc2 which
> >> is rebased. So you can alternatively start on letux-pvrsrvkm-v5.6.0-rc1.
> >
> > Please don't rebase on every -rc. Just do it for every major release.
> > That way we have a sane development tree following the Linux release
> > cycle.
>
> well, that contradicts the Letux development process where all feature
> branches are rebased every rc (sometimes every second one). This is
> sometimes essential to get bug fixes during rc2..rc7 into the tree. Or
> not to keep hot-fixes twice (once from upstream and once local).

If we have a branch for letux-pvrsrvkm-v5.6 originally based on
v5.6-rc1, there's no issue whatsoever to merge v5.6-rc2 or any
later -rc into it.

When you merge in v5.6-rc2, the original commits stay there rather
than change commit IDs compared to rebase. So you will get fixes
just fine. Also merging in more recent versions of local patches is
not a problem, you just merge in some dev branch with more recent
local changes.

> > Shorter branch names, less work for you, folks with their own forks
> > will be happy as there's only need to rebase every major release :)
>
> Unfortunately it is much more work because I don't see how I can automate
> that...

It seems like you already have the scripts, just run them less
often :) Only run them when new -rc1 gets tagged :)

And when during the -rc cycle, you just do this:

$ cd linux
$ git checkout letux-pvrsrvkm-v5.6	# Assuming still on -rc1
$ git merge v5.6-rc2

And you're done.

> And maybe you can take "-rc1" suffix just as a note that it is the basis
> of a new major release and assume it has been removed :)

The issue I have it's that the commit IDs constantly keep
changing when you rebase.

I have no problem with a new branch every new kernel version.
That can be considered a separate development branch, and
the old branches can potentially be active too still.

> In summary it was not difficult to clone your letux-pvrsrvkm-v5.6.0-rc1-pvr-drv
> and cherry-pick the series from letux-pvrsrvkm-v5.6.0-rc1..HEAD to
> reintegrate into letux-pvrsrvkm-v5.6.0-rc2. Which should now have
> almost all patches except the jz4780 patch.

Please no. Do not rebase if you want others to use your git tree.

Linus has explained this with very good arguments many times
over the years, see for example [0] below.

Basically it's not just your change log history any longer when
you push out a git branch and other people start particpiating,
it's also other people's change log history then too.

Regards,

Tony

[0] https://www.mail-archive.com/dri-devel@lists.sourceforge.net/msg39091.html