[OHSW.org] topic idea: debian installer

Josua Mayer josua.mayer at jm0.eu
Mi Dez 7 22:00:44 CET 2016

Hi everybody,

Since I finally decided to intend, here is what I suggest to work on:
Figure out how to build the debian installer, and how to deploy it on an
sdcard/emmc/nfs.

Here is an entry point to the wiki for it:
https://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/Contrib

This topic would consist of:
1. get a copy of the source and understand how it is built and adapted
to a new device
2. find out if the debian default kernel boots, or why it doesn't
(earlyprintk?)
3. either patch debian kernel so that it works, or build own kernel
(involves creating udebs)
4. figure out if the pieces are small enough to submit to upstream

Preparation:
1. get a copy of debian sid (chroot should suffice)
2. get a device to work on: I don't think it must be gta04, could also
be any other board that doesn't yet work or is broken with
debian-installer, such as i.mx6.

br
Josua Mayer