[Open-hard-software-event] My first open hardware project

rhn gode.rhn at porcupinefactory.org
Fri Jul 1 00:50:24 CEST 2011

On Thu, 30 Jun 2011 23:59:45 +0200
Christoph Mair <christoph.mair at gmail.com> wrote:

> Am Mittwoch 29 Juni 2011, 15:44:09 schrieb rhn:
> > Hello!
> >
> > I've just made a bicycle computer (HW/SW) and I'd like to release it as a
> > free project. It would be the first open project I start, so I'd like to
> > ask more experienced people for guidance in releasing it. I realize that
> > this is a list about the particular event, but I can't think of a better
> > place to ask. If the project gains traction, maybe I will be able to
> > participate in the event, too (after I brush up on my German)!
> >
> > The project itself is available here: http://rhn.github.com/jazda/
> Looks good!
>
> > As far as I reckon, there's no other free bicycle computer project in
> > active development, and none came close to the costs I reached, so I am
> > fairly optimistic :) Still, I have a few concerns before a proper release,
> > like the documentation quality, code quality, assembly guide, how to
> > release hardware documentation etc.
> >
> > I hope someone can comment on whether I did it properly or if it needs more
> > work.
> I had a (very) quick look at the project (don't have lots of time right now)
> and it seems quite ok. For myself I published the eagle files and tried to
> document as much as possible in a wiki. You can have a look here:
>
> http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Freerunner_Navigation_Board
> http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Freerunner_Navigation_Board_v2
> http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Freerunner_Navigation_Board_v3 (WIP)

Ah, I'm familiar with your project, and although I don't own one of those, I saw the huge positive response on the Openmoko mailing lists.

I've been wondering about the possibility to use Eagle files for GPL projects. GPL doesn't rule out commercial usage, and the free Eagle EULA says that I can't use the files for commercial purposes. Are you familiar with the topic?

> I know that the documentation is not the best yet. I'm trying to improve it
> whenever I have time or when someone asks questions which are not documented
> yet.

I'm surprised that there were any questions, the documentation on the wiki seems complete...

> I would just release as much informatio as possible (if you want, as early as
> possible) to give other people a chance to build and/or use your bicycle
> computer for themselves. They hopefully will ask or complain if something is
> missing.
>
> Best regards,
>   Christoph

Thanks for the opinion. For the actual release, I intend to create an assembly tutorial, just as you suggested, and define/document a better module creation API (this is the other major part of the project). Unfortunately, this has to wait until I get my ordered PCBs.

Cheers,
rhn