[Open-hard-software-event] My first open hardware project

rhn gode.rhn at porcupinefactory.org
Fri Jul 1 00:27:30 CEST 2011

Hello Nikolaus,

On Wed, 29 Jun 2011 16:04:33 +0200
"Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller" <hns at goldelico.com> wrote:

> Hello and welcome,
>
> Am 29.06.2011 um 15:44 schrieb rhn:
--snip--
> > I realize that this is a list about the particular event, but I can't think of a better place to ask. If the project gains traction, maybe I will be able to participate in the event, too (after I brush up on my German)!
>
> Would be nice! Well, you can present in English but you should be able to follow discussions in German or you won't get the feedback you are looking for.

Is the time/place of the event known yet? It's one of the many factors that influence my ability to attend it.

> > The project itself is available here: http://rhn.github.com/jazda/
>
> Looks interesting. There was a similar project presented some years ago on Linux Tag:
>
> http://obico.de/
>
> but I think their project stalled. Maybe, we can also invite them to come and you may be able to merge activities?

I tried to contact them a while ago, unfortunately, I got no response. A similar scenario happened when I tried to contact the author of VeloAce (http://www.engbedded.com/veloace).
I'm sure some collaboration would be possible: after analyzing obico's architecture, I found out that they use a similar chip for the basic logging tasks as I do.

> > As far as I reckon, there's no other free bicycle computer project in active development, and none came close to the costs I reached, so I am fairly optimistic :)
> > Still, I have a few concerns before a proper release, like the documentation quality, code quality, assembly guide, how to release hardware documentation etc.
> >
> > I hope someone can comment on whether I did it properly or if it needs more work.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > rhn
> >
> > PS. Sorry for using English, my German is not as good as it used to be
>
> Kein Problem!
>
> BR,
> Nikolaus

Cheers,