[Letux-kernel] Temperature management for the Pyra

H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Fri Sep 13 15:33:46 CEST 2019

We all know that the Pyra is a big piece of heating furnace.

This makes problems if the battery temperature goes beyond
60°C (even 50 isn't good) and if the OMAP5 goes beyond 100°C
(internally).

ED has invested a lot of time & work into designing a cooling
system to better distribute heat and get it out of the
plastics case.

While this improves the situation significantly we can't
guarantee that it does not overheat for example if the
Pyra is sitting in the Sahara (or Arizona) in the bright
sun...

But Linux seems to have a quite flexible facility for
managing all this. It allows to define thermal sensors,
thermal zones (normal, alert and critical temperatures)
and thermal maps which define actions to be taken if
temperature leaves the comfort zone. There are provisions
for reducing the processor clock (OPP) or triggering an
GPIO to start a fan (which we still want to avoid).

Setting this up is certainly some work and will not be
done quickly. But to save the basic idea that it is
not forgotten any more:

http://projects.goldelico.com/p/gta04-kernel/issues/927/