[Letux-kernel] New members welcome / where to find what

H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Thu Jun 14 13:32:06 CEST 2018

Hi,

> Am 14.06.2018 um 04:08 schrieb Michael Mrozek <EvilDragon at openpandora.org>:
>
> Hi,
>
> this will be a small Welcome-Mail as well as a small introduction where
> to find stuff and the critical stuff that needs to be done.
>
> Well, first things first:
> Welcome and thanks to everyone who offered to help, especially with
> remaining kernel- / U-Boot- etc. issues.
>
> I will try to build some more prototypes next week and we also hope to
> get some more from Global Components until the end of the month.
>
> One thing I think is very important is that we also need to decide how
> to organize things as good as possible. This is especially important
> the more developers help out, otherwise no one knows who is doing what.
> I'll send more mails about that later.
>
> Here's how things are currently organized.
> A good start is:
> https://dev.pyra-handheld.com/
> There's a gitlab running where we can create our own repositories for
> custom debian packages, etc.
>
> The OS (Debian) we want to install on the retail units is being created
> by aTc and can be downloaded here:
> http://packages.pyra-handheld.com/images/stretch/
>
> I hope these are the most recent ones (if not: please do correct me,
> aTc).
>
> This image uses the following:
>
> 1. Kernel:
> As far as I know, the kernel being used is the Letux Kernel (see here:
> https://projects.goldelico.com/p/gta04-kernel/), though it could be
> that aTc has added some patches for the OS release (not sure though).
>
> So for kernel development (which is what we need to focus right now),
> use the above site. Any patches can be posted in this mailing list so
> hns can include them.

Yes, please.

> The issues regarding the kernel should also be posted there, and you
> can of course use the issues to choose what you want to do :)
>
> We also use the board-file (DTS) from the Letux kernel which sets up
> and configures the hardware.

As written in a different mail, the PyraOS kernel probably should have
a reduced and adapted defconfig. This can speed up boot time.

> 2. Bootloader (U-Boot):
> Well, I do know we are using a different U-Boot version than hns uses
> with his Letux OS,

Really? What are the differences? Are they useful for all? Then we
should integrate them.

> however, I have no idea which one and where to get
> it. Unfortunately, it's not on our gitlab site, and I know it uses some
> patches.
> I know the precompiled bootloader and MLO can be found here:
> https://dev.pyra-handheld.com/atc/pyra-install
>
> aTc should be able to help out here, so someone can work on U-Boot as
> well.

The Letux OS MLO and U-Boot should work equally well (and if not we have
not exchanged enough information). The project is here:

http://projects.goldelico.com/p/gta04-uboot/
http://git.goldelico.com/?p=gta04-uboot.git;a=summary
http://download.goldelico.com/letux-u-boot/Pyra+LC15/latest/
and
http://download.goldelico.com/letux-u-boot/Pyra+LC15-4GB/latest/

Note to all developers: we need slightly different u-boot and kernel
builds (LPAE) for 2GB and 4GB RAM on OMAP5.