[Letux-kernel] [Gta04-owner] Openmoke charger detection

H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Sun Dec 30 08:42:49 CET 2018

Hi Andreas,

> Am 29.12.2018 um 22:14 schrieb Andreas Kemnade <andreas at kemnade.info>:
>
> Hi,
>
> On Sat, 29 Dec 2018 17:36:18 +0100
> Andreas Kemnade <andreas at kemnade.info> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I heard reports there that some people have usb problems if the
>> gta04 is booted with usb cable attached, so the cable needs to be
>> re-attached. I do not have the trouble.
>> Before doing more research, one thing comes to my mind. The id pin
>> status check. I have disabled it in my systems because I do not have an
>> openmoke charger anymore. I think I have forgotten it on some trip.
>> If the id status pin check is done during probing, I am quite sure
>> that there is a race condition that under some circumstances triggers.
>>
>> What I am wondering here is: Are people still using the om charger so
>> that it is something worth fixing? Or is it simply enough to disable
>> the om charger check in the udev rules.

Well, I use the OM charger sometimes. But the effect is visible with
usb cable to some host. So I think it is not related to charger detection.

>> I will probably try to use a fresh, plain letux system and try to
>> reproduce problems there. The id pin status check was just something
>> coming to my mind. If there is a race condition involved I might also
>> be just on the lucky side.
>>
> ok, fresh letux-lxde + letux-4.20:
> poweron->wait->ssh via usb->shutdown -h 0->wait till off
>
> a dozen times. USB was connected all the time. No problems. So perhaps
> not the charger detection.

Yes it is strange. I only see this on GTA04. Not on BeagleBone or Pyra
or Udoo neo. The effect is that it needs:

poweron->wait->login->ifdown usb0->ifup usb0->ssh via usb->shutdown -h 0->wait till off

Maybe it is something with dhcpd or ifup run automatically during boot.
It may run too early if cable is already connected.

Hm. Or is it the charger detection although it starts up with 500mA
(USB client cable)? I can try by disabling the udev rule.