[Letux-kernel] 4.16 boot hickups

H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Fri Apr 13 18:24:23 CEST 2018

Hi,

> Am 13.04.2018 um 17:59 schrieb H. Nikolaus Schaller <hns at goldelico.com>:
>

>> Am 13.04.2018 um 17:51 schrieb H. Nikolaus Schaller <hns at goldelico.com>:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>>> Am 13.04.2018 um 10:43 schrieb H. Nikolaus Schaller <hns at goldelico.com>:
>>>
>>> I wasn't able to mount NAND on this device manually either.
>>>
>>> So I'll reformat it and then let's see if the problem is still there.
>>
>> Well, the ubi0 error: scan_peb: bad image sequence number 1311990011 in PEB 1980, expected 1795890576
>> is gone, but the hickup is still there.
>>
>> GTA04A5:	boots 10 of 10 attempts fine with boot after battery-insert
>> GTA04A4:	boots 2-3 attempts of 10 fine with boot after battery-insert
>> 		no problem after force-shutdown and power-on
> 		I should add that this is the same on two different GTA04A4
>>
>> With letux-4.16-rc6 I have 10/10 on GTA04A4.
>>
>> So either the OneNAND fix breaks the GTA04A4 or there is some other change
>> between letux-4.16-rc6 and letux-4.16 that is NOT active on GTA04A5. Maybe
>> some peripheral driver?
>
> So please can someone try to confirm the problem on GTA04A4 with
>
> http://download.goldelico.com/letux-kernel/letux-4.16/
>
> vs.
>
> http://download.goldelico.com/letux-kernel/letux-4.16-rc6/

I think I have found it. By revisiting what really differs
between both versions:

1. some upstream patches
2. OneNAND fix
3. some Pyra DT changes
4. pcal6524 and txs02612 fixes (Pyra)
5. twl4030 sound+vibra (hfclk) fix
6. ehci enable offmode

And I tried to remember when I first faced the problem. It was not with 3, 4 and 5.
So option 1, 2 and 6 remained.

It turned out that the last one ("omap: change enable off_mode default to 1")
makes the problems...

Reverting it makes the GTA04A4 boot well again.
Reverting the revert makes the hickup appear again.

Well, this patch is probably not the reason but it
enables a feature that some driver may not properly
handle.