[Letux-kernel] LetuxOS: Kernel v4.16 released - upstreaming GTA04A5 DTS changes

H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Sat Apr 7 17:31:40 CEST 2018

> Am 07.04.2018 um 11:19 schrieb H. Nikolaus Schaller <hns at goldelico.com>:
>

>> Am 07.04.2018 um 10:39 schrieb Andreas Kemnade <andreas at kemnade.info>:
>>

>> BTW: do you plan to upstream gta04a5 devicetree?
>
> Yes. There have been plans for a long time...
>
> Maybe it is now good enough. I'll take a look into it.
>
> The problem is that they don't want to see any "private" bindings...
>
> So we may have to edit things until it can be upstreamed.
>
> And this sometimes leads to awkwards hacks and split up of things
> that belong together, to finally get a feature complete devices tree
> source like we currently have.
>
> And there are long running plans to upstream some patches to gta04a3/4
> device trees as well.

I have looked into our patch sets and they are quite a mess...

http://git.goldelico.com/?p=gta04-kernel.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/work/letux-base/dt-gta04a5
http://git.goldelico.com/?p=gta04-kernel.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/work/letux-base/dt-gta04-common
http://git.goldelico.com/?p=gta04-kernel.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/work/letux-base/dt-gta04

Probably the easiest step is to squash them all together into a single patch,
then do a git reset --soft HEAD~1 and use git add -p to group things into new commits...
Ideally we have then one patch for each subsystem (WLAN, Camera, ...).

And some patches will still be "private" extensions (e.g. modem power control).

In the end, there should be no git diff between the old and the new patch set, but parts
of the new one can be posted to LKML.

This is not very difficult, but needs some hours that allow for undisturbed work until it is done.
(git bisect also needs hours but is not harmed if the operator is disturbed).