[Letux-kernel] [Lenny400] JZ4730/Minibook framebuffer driver updates

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Sat Sep 9 23:49:29 CEST 2017

On Saturday 9. September 2017 22.21.44 H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:

> > Am 09.09.2017 um 01:24 schrieb Paul Boddie <paul at boddie.org.uk>:
> >
> > And so, I took some clues from another place:
> >
> > drivers/video/fbdev/omap2/omapfb/displays/panel-dpi.c
>
> Yes, this is more or less a basic decision if we want to use drm or fbdev.
>
> For OMAP we had to switch X11 to omapdrm because fbdev support by X11
> became flaky.
>
> Anyways it is something that can certainly be converted later. It is even
> possible to support both in the same kernel tree. Giving some code
> duplication.
>
> OMAP still can support fbdev but is less tested.

Fortunately, I was only looking for inspiration here. I haven't really looked
at what that code does: it just happened to show me what I might be doing to
get the device tree structure I wanted.

[...]

> Applied fine. I just had a minor issue with merging things together, but
> have solved as well.
>
> Here:
>
> http://git.goldelico.com/?p=gta04-kernel.git;a=heads

I'm still figuring out my workflow, but I aim to only send patches that apply
to your branches.

> > I hope these are steps in the right direction!
>
> Testing will finally show but IMHO the direction is ok :)

Well, I already found something wrong with that code: the framebuffer
structures use picoseconds to measure the pixel clock whereas other structures
use hertz or kilohertz. Attached is a patch to fix that.

Paul