[Letux-kernel] a better place for MLO/SPL

Andreas Kemnade andreas at kemnade.info
Tue Jan 17 08:02:58 CET 2017

Hi,

On Mon, 16 Jan 2017 09:45:33 +0100

> > Am 16.01.2017 um 08:17 schrieb Belisko Marek
> > <marek.belisko at gmail.com>:
> >
> > Hi Andreas,
> >
> > On Mon, Jan 16, 2017 at 6:50 AM, Andreas Kemnade
> > <andreas at kemnade.info> wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I stumbled a bit over a paragraph describing having the MLO at the
> >> 256th sector of the mmc instead of having it in the first fat
> >> partition as first file.
> > According this [0] is should be possibel only for omap4 and a33xx
> > (BB).
>
> Yes, there are tricks to hide that and use no FAT partition.
>
> >> See page 3593
> >> Maybe that enables us to live without that fat partition but at
> >> least we need not to take care of the special conditions of that
> >> MLO file.
> > Having FAT partition is IMO good idea an you can see which MLO or
> > u-boot is there (you can name it).
>
> And simply install another one by standard commands.

Well, you will not have the MLO restrictions (being the first file,
etc.)  But for u-boot.img you are right.

> Anyways, we only need it on mmc if we want to reflash the NAND.
> Standard SD cards should only have rootfs and kernels.

There needs to be a menu.rgbz and a boot.scr
for being able to select the partitions properly. NAND does not
know which partition has which system.

> Having different MLOs and U-Boots on every card is quite some
> nightmare...

Well, usually mlo and u-boot is a never-touch-a-running-system area.
There was just an exception in the last weeks... I somehow did forgot
the years I never touched it. So there is almost no need to replace mlo
if it once runs, so the MLO placement restrictions do not matter.
I usually do not want to touch it.
I do not see a reason why I want to delete that fat partition
containing these things once used to initialize nand. It does not
consume that much space. And I basically leave the sd card where it is:
in the gta04. Exception would be for hw testing.