[Letux-kernel] a better place for MLO/SPL

H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Mon Jan 16 09:45:33 CET 2017

Hi,

> Am 16.01.2017 um 08:17 schrieb Belisko Marek <marek.belisko at gmail.com>:
>
> Hi Andreas,
>
> On Mon, Jan 16, 2017 at 6:50 AM, Andreas Kemnade <andreas at kemnade.info> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I stumbled a bit over a paragraph describing having the MLO at the
>> 256th sector of the mmc instead of having it in the first fat partition
>> as first file.
> According this [0] is should be possibel only for omap4 and a33xx (BB).

Yes, there are tricks to hide that and use no FAT partition.

>> See page 3593
>> Maybe that enables us to live without that fat partition but at least
>> we need not to take care of the special conditions of that MLO file.
> Having FAT partition is IMO good idea an you can see which MLO or
> u-boot is there (you can name it).

And simply install another one by standard commands.

Anyways, we only need it on mmc if we want to reflash the NAND.
Standard SD cards should only have rootfs and kernels.

Having different MLOs and U-Boots on every card is quite some
nightmare...