[Letux-kernel] Letux U-Boot 2016.11 for GTA04

H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Wed Jan 11 13:03:55 CET 2017

Hi,

> [...]
>
> On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 08:31:49 +0100
>
>> Hi Andreas,
>>
>>> Am 10.01.2017 um 23:19 schrieb Andreas Kemnade
>>> <andreas at kemnade.info>:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I tried an older one,
>>> now I get this far:
>>>
>>> Found GTA04A4
>>> Device Tree: omap3-gta04a4+b2.dtb
>>> Net:   usb_ether
>>> Error: usb_ether address not set.
>>>
>>> Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0
>>> GTA04b2 #
>>> GTA04b2 # mmc rescan
>>> GTA04b2 # load mmc 0:2 ${fdtaddr} /boot/${fdtfile}
>>> 74557 bytes read in 30 ms (2.4 MiB/s)
>>> GTA04b2 # load mmc 0:1 ${loadaddr} /zImage
>>> reading /zImage
>>> 4605976 bytes read in 356 ms (12.3 MiB/s)
>>> GTA04b2 # run mmcargs
>>> GTA04b2 # echo ${fdtfile}
>>> omap3-gta04a4+b2.dtb
>>> GTA04b2 # echo ${ver}
>>> U-Boot 2016.11-01252-g8ffa558 (Jan 10 2017 - 22:23:45 +0100)
>>
>> looks good!
>>
>>> GTA04b2 # bootz ${loadaddr} - ${fdtaddr}
>>> ## Flattened Device Tree blob at 80f80000
>>>  Booting using the fdt blob at 0x80f80000
>>>  Using Device Tree in place at 80f80000, end 80f9533c
>>>
>>> Starting kernel ...
>>>

>>> Error: unrecognized/unsupported machine ID (r1 = 0x00000bcb).
>>>
>>> Available machine support:
>>>
>>> ID (hex)        NAME
>>> ffffffff        Generic DT based system
>>> ffffffff        Generic DRA72X (Flattened Device Tree)
>>> ffffffff        Generic DRA74X (Flattened Device Tree)
>>> ffffffff        Generic AM43 (Flattened Device Tree)
>>> ffffffff        Generic OMAP5 (Flattened Device Tree)
>>> ffffffff        Generic OMAP4 (Flattened Device Tree)
>>> ffffffff        Generic AM33XX (Flattened Device Tree)
>>> ffffffff        Generic AM3517 (Flattened Device Tree)
>>> ffffffff        Generic OMAP3-GP (Flattened Device Tree)
>>> ffffffff        Generic OMAP36xx (Flattened Device Tree)
>>> ffffffff        Generic OMAP3 (Flattened Device Tree)
>>> ffffffff        Nokia RX-51 board
>>>
>>> Please check your kernel config and/or bootloader.
>>>

>>> Any hints? I tried to update kernel and dtb. So what is still wrong
>>> here?
>>
>> Hm. I have never seen that. Seems to be a message from the kernel.
>> And what I wonder is why there are only ffff IDs.
>>
>> Is this a linux-next? Maybe they have removed all IDs but not the
>> check?
>>
> No, just a kernel I have used before. I also tried a fresh 4.9 with
> letux defconfig
>
> I have never seen that, too.
> It may come from
> arm/kernel/atags_parse.c
>
> I will test that exact kernel an my regular gta04a4 again and
> with an old uboot.
>
>>> The boot-gta04.txt produces a lot of errors. I also tried load ..
>>> uImage and bootm ...
>>
>> boot-gta04.txt should be converted into a boot.scr.
>>
> yes, I have done that. I ran my old script for doing so. The number of
> errors using that was just overwhelming.

It reports some known errors (because there is no 2>/dev/null in hush)
but there should not be many.

> I think I am running in pothole detection mode. I found out that it
> can cause non-working binaries if you use
> make O=...
> to make the object files somewhere else.
> Now I am not using make clean anymore in uboot but
> git clean -xfd

I do (in some driver script):

export CROSS_COMPILE="$TARGET-"
make distclean
make ${U_BOOT_BOARDNAME}_config && make USE_PRIVATE_LIBGCC=yes all

>> Here is some binary:
>>
>> http://download.goldelico.com/letux-u-boot/Letux-3704/2017-01-11/
>>
>> Maybe I should add a note to the source code that it should
>> be converted and named "boot.scr".
>
> I will try again with that boot.scr this evening.

I hope I find a little time to update my µSD for the L3704 as well.

Ah, one thing to note: boot.scr and u-boot must match version
(there are changes in the u-boot commands).

And, you must boot with AUX button pressed - or you mix old
X-Loader and new U-Boot.