[Letux-kernel] charging/musb upstream status

H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Wed Sep 14 09:50:13 CEST 2016

Hi Andreas,

> Am 13.09.2016 um 23:23 schrieb Andreas Kemnade <andreas at kemnade.info>:
>
> Hi,
>
> here is a summary what is achieved:
> phy-twl4030-usb charging patches are travelling through -next branches,
> at least they are here:
> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/kishon/linux-phy.git
> chances are that they are still going to 4.8(rc) as bug fixes.

Oh, that would be fine!

> musb_platform_en/disable() balancing stuff is causing intensive
> discussion, more than a dozen emails in the last two days.

It seems to be a quite complex (and not well/openly documented) component.

> At least
> the maintainers are aware of that problem and we all agree on the root
> cause.

That is very good news. Most discussions (like the uart-slaves) do not
even have this agreement.

> Tests are now done on a wide range of platforms.
> At least I am now in a better position there. Submitting a patch which
> breaks the maintainers favorite system was bad.

Ok, that should not happen - but I don't see a better strategy if we don't
know the favorite system in advance (and maybe don't even own it - so can't
test).

> But
> others have called up that my patch fixed their problems also. So there
> is a real urge to fix that and patches are improved.
> There is another musb patchset (for linux-next) in the upstream process
> (in one of gregkh's various branches) which conflicts with my work but
> simplifies a lot of things and does not make things worse for us.

So things are finally moving and let's hope it fixes our musb induced
power management problem.

At the moment we can live with what we have (isn't worse than 3.12) so
we can wait for the final steps for improvement.

If these changes are complex and have other dependencies, I think we do
not try to forward-port things and better await that they appear in
linux-next or linus/master.

BR and thanks for the good summary,