[Letux-kernel] build log :) - towards working OMAP3 + SGX530

H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Mon Oct 31 10:14:35 CET 2016

> Am 30.10.2016 um 20:46 schrieb H. Nikolaus Schaller <hns at goldelico.com>:
>

>> Untfortunately, it compiles but hangs right after "Starting kernel ..."
>
> I have doe some experiments with the merge on top of linus/v4.3
> and the version manually rebased to linus/v4.9.rc2.
>
> After adding some letux_defconfig I was able to compile both.
>
> The v4.3 boots while the v4.9-rc2 hangs as described.
>
> So there is something incompatible to rebasing... Anyways this is good news. Basically it is
> possible to bisect the bug between v4.9-rc2 and the merged patches.

Now I did bisect the v4.9-rc2 variant.

6f46910aa92c0b2cd718d7334b8f72424e490a3a is the first bad commit
commit 6f46910aa92c0b2cd718d7334b8f72424e490a3a
Author: Tero Kristo <t-kristo at ti.com>
Date:   Thu Sep 24 17:26:51 2015 +0300

    ARM: OMAP2+: hwmod: parse reset information from DT

    DT can now be used to provide reset information, so parse this to avoid
    the need to have reset info under hwmod data. This patch disables the
    support for existing reset data under hwmod data, so shall be applied
    only after the DT reset conversion.

Ok, here the reset information is added to DT.
Nothing removed.

So it is not the real cause, just the trigger.

Anyways it is a good hint. The real problem is hidden in some
earlier patch and only "enabled" by this one.

So there are two new ideas to follow:
a) look into the earlier patches (there are only 2 non-DT patches)
b) remove changes in 6f46910aa92c one by one until it works

I think variant b) is easier to do initially.