[Letux-kernel] Request for tasks

H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Mon Jun 13 14:11:53 CEST 2016

Hi Andrey,

> Am 11.06.2016 um 01:25 schrieb Andrey Utkin <andrey_utkin at fastmail.com>:
>
> On Tue, Jun 07, 2016 at 08:03:41AM +0200, H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
>> There is the BNO055 which ED has not choosen for cost reasons.
>> But I am working with my contact with Bosch and he tries to get
>> special conditions. Looks like they want to support us and use Pyra
>> as a reference design :) He is also looking for a technical contact.
>
> So Vlad Dogaru from Intel replied that he likely has put work on BNO055
> to his schedule.

Thanks that you did request this from him!

> What about me, what else useful I could do?
>
> What if I pick some stabilized drivers or patches which are not yet
> mainlined and push them to mainline?

I have looked through those branches/features we have not yet tried to upstream.
Those we already have tried needs some interaction with the original developer(s)
so that there is no duplicate work. And some are just missing small cleanup before
upstreaming which is easier to apply than to explain someone else.

I only came up with the nub/joystick driver which works, but has not yet been pushed
at all:

http://git.goldelico.com/?p=gta04-kernel.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/work/hns/input/as5013

All others are either not mature enough for upstreaming or in some intermediate LKML review
stage (in most cases there has been feedback but is not worked completely into version n+1
so it is difficult to define/describe the current status - except that it works for us).

One important driver is still empty and needs real driver development work:

http://git.goldelico.com/?p=gta04-kernel.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/work/hns/mmc/txs02612

So I would say you could try to clean up the as5013 driver first and then try to get it upstream.
A minor problem is that you can't easily test the cleaned up version and if feedback asks to
solve something differently.

Or you start to work out a draft for the txs02612 driver.

After we have distributed hardware, it is easier to collaboratively work on the other
parts (since you can test and we can discuss fixes).