[Letux-kernel] letux-4.7-rc7: charging & ethernet gadget

H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Tue Jul 19 09:04:51 CEST 2016

Hi,

> Am 19.07.2016 um 07:01 schrieb Andreas Kemnade <andreas at kemnade.info>:
>

> On Mon, 18 Jul 2016 20:53:09 +0200
>

>>> Am 18.07.2016 um 20:41 schrieb Andreas Kemnade
>>> <andreas at kemnade.info>:
>>>
>>> On Mon, 18 Jul 2016 18:08:38 +0200
>>> "H. Nikolaus Schaller" <hns at goldelico.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> MUSB itself gets the plugging info via ULPI from twl4030...
>>> And if VBus measurement somehow does not work, it also influences
>>> musb. I just remembered the state we reached in the kernel workshop.
>>> Linear charging was working.
>>
>> Yes.
>>
>>> Vbus measurement was working. Gadget was
>>> working, b_host.sh was working.
>>
>> AFAIR it did not work for my devices.
>>
> What did not work? I only remember that you had to replug the
> cable at the right side for something (gadget?)?

I think charging didn't work either for my device and gadget became
more and more unreliable. Finally missing was IP forwarding on my
notebook. On yours it did work.

>> Note: it somehow depends on the device. I have one Letux7004 where it
>> worked last time I tested.
>>
>> So the problem is even more subtle. Some small difference in hardware
>> makes the problem appear or not.
>>
>>> That was 4.7rc1 + fixes done there. So
>>> somewhere in between there and now caused something vbus
>>> measurement to break.
>>> As now b_host.sh, vbus and gadget do not work.
>>> So maybe we should first concentrace on reaching the workshop state
>>> again. So that is a bit like a git bisect between that 4.7rc1 and
>>> now.
>>
>> Or looking at your original patches
>>
>> http://git.goldelico.com/?p=gta04-kernel.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/work/kemnade/charging_fixes
>> http://git.goldelico.com/?p=gta04-kernel.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/work/hacks
>>
>> and heck if they were rebased properly. And are complete.
>>
> It seems that they are there.
> rc3 seems to still be like rc1.
> rc4 not.
>
> Maybe next thing is to probably trace writes to the twl in twl-core.c
> and then diff them. Maybe also trying with disabled musb.
>
> Regards,
> Andreas
>
> message sent through a GTA04 with 4.7rc3 via USB and ip masquerading to
> wwan

fine!

Here a new observation:. After setting to continuous mode,
charging starts. And after resetting to auto it stops.

Interesting is the temperature value. It fluctuates heavily in
continuous mode. Which means that the BCI-ADC isn't working
properly.

The other interesting observation is that VBUS is always 0.
Even if the driver pretends that it is charging.

a) no cable plugged in + continuous mode ->says "charging"

TWL4030 Main Battery
====================
volt: 3829mV
temp: 3°C
VBUS: 6mV
VCHG: 19mV

Battery /sys/class/power_supply/bq27000-battery
==================
capacity: 74%
status: Discharging
volt: 3930000uV
current: 314695uA

USB Charger /sys/class/power_supply/twl4030_usb
===================
type: USB
online: 1
status: Charging
volt: 0uV
current: 15797uA
max_current: 798505uA

b) no cable/cable (doesn't matter) auto mode - not charging

[ 1575.130889] twl4030_bci 48070000.i2c:twl at 48:bci: battery temperature out of range

TWL4030 Main Battery
====================
volt: 3800mV
temp: 56°C
VBUS: 0mV
VCHG: 0mV

Battery /sys/class/power_supply/bq27000-battery
==================
capacity: 71%
status: Discharging
volt: 3922000uV
current: 281494uA

USB Charger /sys/class/power_supply/twl4030_usb
===================
type: USB
online: 0
status: Not charging
volt: uV
current: uA
max_current: 841uA

c) USB power plugged in + continuous mode -> charging current is flowing

root at letux:~# ./charger
TWL4030 Main Battery
====================
volt: 4123mV
temp: 56°C
VBUS: 27mV
VCHG: 0mV

Battery /sys/class/power_supply/bq27000-battery
==================
capacity: 68%
status: Charging
level: Normal
volt: 4022000uV
current: -451783uA

USB Charger /sys/class/power_supply/twl4030_usb
===================
type: USB
online: 1
status: Charging
volt: 0uV
current: 786873uA
max_current: 798505uA

This means for the twl4030 ADCs:
* current measurements appear to represent correct values
* VBATT measurement appears to be accurate
* VBUS, VCHG and temperature are broken

This more indicates that the problem is in the twl4030 initialization and
neither musb nor usb phy.

Perhaps a regmap sync problem?

I think I have to study the twl4030 data sheet if there is a common factor.