[Letux-kernel] [Gta04-owner] no wifi today (cannot load helper firmware)

H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Sun Apr 24 11:56:26 CEST 2016

Hi,

> Am 23.04.2016 um 21:26 schrieb Andreas Kemnade <andreas at kemnade.info>:
>
> Hi,
>
> today my wifi fails. Does not matter which partition I boot from.

:(

> It does even work on partitions I do no experiments with.
> It does not work with the 3.7 kernel.
>
> Bluetooth works.
>
> [  672.540863] libertas_sdio: failed to load helper firmware
> [  672.548522] libertas_sdio: probe of mmc1:0001:1 failed with error -84
>
> I have seen this -84 somewhere...
> EILSEQ

http://lxr.free-electrons.com/source/include/uapi/asm-generic/errno.h#L66

Hm. Illegal byte sequence... Strange.

> EILSEQ=EILLPHONE?
>
> Does anyone else have this error and recovered from it?
> Is it some funny race condition popping up only at some phases of the moon?

Yes. And especially in April.

> @hns: If I remember correctly you had this error with some 4.x? Did you recover
> from it?

I have not checked for a while.

The worst thing could be that there was something broken in SDIO firmware download
for a while which allowed to execute dangerous code in the WiFi controller (it has its
own ARM subsystem) and has damaged it so that it now fails with any kernel or setup.

But let's assume the best case...

As far as I can see the important occurrences of EILSEQ in WiFi related code are here:

http://lxr.free-electrons.com/source/net/wireless/util.c#L1194
http://lxr.free-electrons.com/source/drivers/net/wireless/marvell/libertas/cfg.c#L503
http://lxr.free-electrons.com/source/drivers/mmc/host/mmc_spi.c#L262 (but I think we don't use mmc-spi)

To find who is generating the error -84 we should add printk() backwards through the
error path that makes libertas_sdio: probe fail.

BTW: this looks strange:

http://lxr.free-electrons.com/source/drivers/mmc/core/core.c#L80

Maybe we have accidentially enabled CONFIG_FAIL_MMC_REQUEST?